Rainbows decorate the sky with color, representing prisms created by energy within the atmosphere. The same is true for each of us, there are hues attached to specific energy centers, known as chakras, within our physical bodies. A Sanskrit word from India, chakras tap into specific energies – and colors – within our makeup.
I have to admit that four years ago when I first heard the term chakra, I hadn’t a clue as to what it meant. For all I knew, someone fused the singer Chaka Kahn and the vegetable okra and devised a clever hybrid. Since then, I’ve learned more about chakras and how they fuel my life balance and why certain colors impact my world differently.
Some of you may know that our bodies have seven basic chakras. Here’s a recap of those and the colors and energies with which they’re associated:
- Base Chakra – Red. Located at the base of the spine, it’s closely connected to all earthly issues like safety, stability, survival and shelter. Keeps us grounded.
- Sacral Chakra – Orange. Housed in reproductive areas, it relates to emotions, desires, creativity and sexuality.
- Solar Plexus Chakra – Yellow. Situated in close proximity to the stomach, it represents power, confidence and self-esteem. (Now, you know why “gut feelings” are so strong!)
- Heart Chakra – Green (you’d think it’d be red, right?). Parallel to the ol’ ticker, it focuses on unconditional love, compassion, relationships, harmony and healing. (FYI, Green has always been my favorite and this description validates that for me!)
- Throat Chakra – Blue. Positioned in the throat, it’s associated with the power of voice, opinion and communications.
- Third Eye Chakra – Indigo. Located between the eyebrows, its strength is intuition. (Needless to say, I zero in on this one a lot!)
- Crown Chakra – Purple. Situated at the top of the head, it’s our connection to higher consciousness, wisdom and spiritual insight. (Prayer and meditation are ideal times for this chakra to kick in!)
I have a neighbor, an artist, whose life evolves around colors. His connection to colors doesn’t just come alive while painting, he embraces their vibrational and energy forces as part of his daily being. Various colors and their multitudes of combinations speak to him in a rhythmic language that transcends most standard forms of communication. While most of us may not be as immersed in color as he, we should be aware of why we’re drawn to a certain one on a given day: Its corresponding energy center is aroused! For example, blue (“Speak up!”) or green (Maybe share your healing energy with those who are ill).
And, yes, we can have experiences when all seven chakras will light up at the same time. Now, that’s some kind of rainbow!
Love and light (and color!),